Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Are you Game? Making Training More Interesting

Allright friends, it is time to spice things up! I am inventing my own triathlon training game that is based solely on a points system. At the end of the training season, whoever has the most points wins, and earns the title of: BATT (Bad A$$ Triathlon Trainee...I might change that to something cooler but it's late, that's what I have for right now)



Let me give you the basics (I fully expect the game will evolve as time goes on):



1. Points are earned totally on the honor system
2. Points can be deducted by any team member who witnesses fouls
3. New categories of points/fouls can be requested by any player but must be approved by me. (I made up the game, thus I get to retain some sort of power...bwahhahahahahah)

This game is also only for beginners, you elite athletes have to make your own.

Current Breakdown of Points and Fouls:

Crashes:

  • Every Cycle Crash: 10 points
  • 5 points for every body part with road rash
  • 5 points for every bruise, 15 pts for bruises bigger than your head
  • 1 point for ejected water bottles
  • 25 points if you get ran over by another biker...extra 5 if you have a bruise in the shape of the line where the tire ran over you.
  • 1 point for forgetting to unclip and falling over/crashing on the bike
  • 5 points for pitching yourself over your own handlebars
  • 7 points for head on collisions in the pool (Only accidental counts)

Technical

  • 25 points for changing your own flat tire
  • 1 point for putting your chain back on the bike
  • 5 points for understanding how to work a Garmin
  • 5 points for understanding what in the heck a lactate threshold is and how to use it
  • 2 points if you can install your own elastic bands in your running shoes
  • 7 points if you can put conditioner in your hair and not lose your swim cap
  • 10 points if you can wear a hydration belt with a straight face

Random

  • 10 points for every successful Farmers Blow/Snot Rocket (get your mind out of the gutter, and google it)
  • Minus 25 points if you use the Farmers Blow and get snot on a team member
  • Plus 150 points if you use the Farmers Blow and hit someone in an automobile cussing at you while you are cycling.

More to come, I am sure :)

6 comments:

babymama said...

Just you wait: one day you'll be training for something long. I mean REAL long and you'll wear the fuel belt and you'll have a whole new appreciation for it! Wear it with a straight face - Puh-lease! I use mine all the time. I meant: when I used to run, I used it all the time (past tense!!).

Cara said...

Do we get points for recent road rash that has since healed?

Stephanie said...

Oh I'm so in!! But some of the ways to get points, makes me not want a lot of them!! Should the game be frightening??

Lanie D said...

To Babymama: That is why the game is for beginners, you elite athletes can totally sport a hydration belt and be taken seriously. I can't even take myself seriously when I have one on. :)

To Cara: Hmmmm, I am cool with you counting any injury from this season.

Steph: LOL, the game is kind of frightening...which is why the winner earns the title of BATT. You should suggest some extra ways to earn points, I am sure there are kindler, gentler things that could help rack up points. :P I think I will add points for attending team practices.

Christi said...

I've got at least 30 from being run over and having the tire mark :)

I can't even begin to count how many I haev for tipping over!!

Christi said...

What about your back wheel falling off on 75 and roll down the highway?!?!? But amazingly you find it on the shoulder unharmed.... That should be a ton of points!!