Thursday, April 10, 2008

Prologue, Flashback, whatever

I feel compelled to offer some background on myself, to give a little perspective.

I am not even remotely athletic, never have been. In high school I debated, really on the debate team, and a little art...which is terrible. My parents still have pottery in their house from 9th grade, I wince every time I walk by it. The clay looks like it's in agony.

The closest I have come to athletic were some cool PE classes in college, one of which was self defense and mostly I got the wind knocked out of me. I wore not being athletic like a badge. HA! I said, all you athletic chipper people are irritating, only crazy people excercise for fun.

And yet, here I am.

So, why now? Fair question, so let me give you the 411 on recent events I call my life.

1. I graduated, and now I am adult with bills, and a 401K and it makes me feel old. Being an adult sucks, no one ever tells you that...they should.
2. Moved back to my hometown, sort of. If you are from Dallas, I am from one of those million little suburbs around Dallas. If not, I live in Dallas. The problem is not many of my friends moved this way.
3. Finding people my age who are not creepy is a lot harder when you don't have class with and live near 45,000 other people who are your age.
4. I need a hobby, bad. Someone asked me last weekend what I was doing, and I said unpacking my apartment. Trust me, I was as mortified at the answer as you are. Packing is not something you do on the weekend, it's something you have to do, and put off for doing as long as you can.
5. For whatever reason, this whole crazy adventure doesn't feel impossible, daunting yes, but not impossible. I like that feeling.

Lesson #2: It takes at least 2 weeks to get over that shock that you actually committed to competing in a triathlon...

0 comments: