Wednesday, July 30, 2008

THE goals

Race #2 brings a whole new set of goals to the table. The Iron Girls race was mostly about finishing and not hurting myself in any sort of permanent way (i.e. drowing, hitting a moving car, etc.) I managed to meet both of those goals but I admit that I found myself thinking I had a lot left to give during that Iron Girls race. Not to get all psychological on you, but I know some of it was mental, and some of it was how I trained the last few weeks before the race...mostly slooooow.

There is no shame, because I finished the race, and met the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the training program. And I learned a heck of a lot. Which means I am ready to step it up, so let me tell you about my goals for the Toyota Open.

Druuuuuuuum roll please...

Goal #1: Begin pushing it on the bike, and I am not talking just mileage. I move slow on the bike, I caught myself doing it today, and then I tried ramping it up. Not to say that I didn't feel the burn, or that I am not sore right now...but I pushed my normal limits. Mind you I was so far back from the front of the pack that I never really caught up.

Goal #2: Learn how to ride in the bike pack. To be honest I am not 100% comfortable on the road bike just yet, and when I was on the hybrid I rarely road with the pack anyway. Time to get over this, I really think the whole drafting thing might make it totally worth it. :)

Goal #3 : Nutrition. Pizza apparently is not a very good training food, who knew? Time to clean this part up. I am going to be doing a 3 day analysis of my eating habits starting on Monday, I will let you know what I find out.

Goal #4: Wipe off 8 minutes from my run time at the Toyota. Which means pushing myself on runs during the week.

Goal #5: Continue to not cause myself any permanent damage. I just feel like this is a good one to hold onto from Iron Girls.

0 comments: